Generally, the functioning of the journal is supervised by an Editorial Board, which consists of distinguished and qualified researchers in the field who contribute by inviting participation and offering expert views on the suitability of submissions. The Editorial Board consists of the following critical positions.
The Editor-in-Chief is primarily responsible for actions conducted for the journal. It maintains the right of final acceptance or rejection of manuscripts.
An Associate Editor is a managing editor who manages the processing of the manuscripts, which entail soliciting manuscripts from potential contributors, assessing the suitability of the manuscript related to its scope, managing the peer-review process, devising strategies for the progress of the journal, coordinating with the reviewers and board members, taking decisions on the revised submissions and occasionally assisting the Editor-in-chief for final acceptance or rejection of the manuscripts.
Editorial Board Members:
The Editorial Board consists of a committee of researchers with expertise in the relevant field, appointed by the journal's authorities for a specified term of 2-3 years.Editorial board members are expected to:
- Carry out peer-reviewing of submitted manuscripts
- Assess submissions based on the policy and scope of the journal
- Organize publication of thematic issues
- Invite new authors and submissions
- Provide editorials for thematic issues organized under their Guest Editorship
- Assist in identifying peer-reviewers suitable to a specific topic and provide second opinions on papers in case of reviewer's conflict
- Suggest appropriate conferences for the editors to attend
- Assist in the announcement of the journal amongst authors, readers, and subscribers and encourage colleagues to submit their best work
- Suggest competent board members
- Carry out submitted manuscript peer-reviewing
- Submit/Solicit review/research manuscript to the journal
The Editorial Board must be geographically diverse, becoming members from various regions based on their field of expertise. However, the size of the board may vary from Journal to Journal.
The Editorial Board plays an essential role in the progress of the journal, so members are selected as per the following criteria:
- Geographical diversity
- Relevance of expertise
- Must have a specific number of publications to their credit
- Eminence as per their posts in key research institutes
- Potential Candidates for Editorial Board Membership:
Guest editors, previous authors, or peer-reviewers who have worked for the journal or endorsed by other board members can be considered for Editorial Board.
On being invited to the editorial board, the potential candidates have furnished a brief description of their responsibilities and a clear statement of the position being a voluntary position with no remuneration.
A successful journal owes a lot to a competent editorial board, which must serve the journal with dedication and conviction.